Wednesday, March 23, 2016

The latest week and a big change

When I first started my SRP it was going to be about the IBOSS system and how many websites had been interfered with due to it. Over time though IBOSS seemed to fix many of its own problems with recognizing websites as banned or not banned. This lead to many problems in my research and made me unsure about presenting on it. This caused me to lean towards researching something else. It took me a while to think of a new question and my mentor helped me in the process of thinking up a good question. The new question I will be pursuing is how has IT changed in the last 16 years in terms of sociability. Around the time computers first came out many believed the only ones good at using them were unsociable men who lived with there mothers and did not get out much. This lead to the hacker stereotype of the fat white guy who loves to show off and lives in the basement of his mothers house. This stereotype is on the decline in recent years however and the IT world is becoming a place where where anybody can come to seek help on a variety of subjects and not be intimidated by the fact that have little knowledge compared to the person who they are seeking help from. I will be accomplishing this research by gathering data on tech support and IT types over the last 16 years and comparing them with the modern IT examples.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nick! Sorry to hear about your research. I hope your new question is rewarding and clears the waters over some of the stereotypes of IT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nick. This is actually really interesting. I'm excited to see how IT has changed over the years. Also, what exactly is IT?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry your project was far more daunting than it had originally appeared. I do find this topic more engaging though. I wish you luck in your research. Now, are you calling yourself the "fat white guy who sat in the basement of his mother's house"? To add to your research would be the crayola art program I installed on my computer, 16 years ago, which you loved to draw with. There were also the reading and math programs you liked as a child. When you realized they were educational, they were no longer fun, but more of a "chore".

    ReplyDelete